You're offered a napkin by a stranger and awkwardly smile as you use it to wipe your mouth. Therefore, linen napkins are essential to your daily life. There are paper napkins and cloth napkins. Let us find out which one is more sustainable:
Wood pulp, that is used to make cocktail napkins, emerges from trees being felled. This procedure requires significant amounts of water and releases gases that cause global warming.
It takes 17 trees, 24.5 gallons of water, and as much as 7.5 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions to make one tonne of paper napkins. That would be a lot of water and greenhouse gas emissions for something we use once and then throw away.
What are the pros and Cons of Paper Napkins?
- It is easy to use
- It is lightweight
- It can be used in the kitchen for cleaning the spills
- It can be used for decoration
- The production favours more cutting of trees
- It cannot be reused
- Premium Paper Napkins are costlier
- Burning Paper napkins emit toxic gases
- It contains bleach. This might sometimes irritate the skin.
What are the pros and cons of Cloth Napkins?
- Cloth napkins are reusable.
- Cloth napkins are easy to clean
- They last for more than 5-7 years.
- They are affordable
- It is soft on the skin
- Cloth Napkins are Eco-friendly and Sustainable.
- Cloth napkins need regular maintenance to last longer.
- The cloth napkins come in various patterns, including plain, check, striped, and embroidery. It imparts an elegant appearance to your table, and most importantly, it is sustainable.